6 min read
Shoppable Instagram Feeds - How to Enable Product Tagging & Make More Sales!
Do you own or work for a brand that sells physical products? If so, you might want to start utilizing one of Instagram’s newest features.. Shoppable Instagram Feeds! This new feature allows you to tag products in your Instagram photos that lead back to your website so viewers can click and buy whatever you’re selling, in a matter of seconds.
This feature comes as a great surprise and welcomed change as most of us are used to Instagram’s lack of links. Normally, we get just one link in our bio which can sometimes be tough to get people to click. Now, with the addition of shoppable Instagram posts, we have the luxury of adding multiple links to a single image that lead our audiences directly back to our websites! Amazing!
Here’s what it looks like when you have a shoppable Instagram feed:
Shoppable Instagram images are denoted by a small shopping bag in the bottom left hand corner of the image (or in the top right when viewed from a profile). When these images are tapped, all of the products for sale will appear. The user can then simply tap on the product of interest which opens a new window with a short description, the price and a link to purchase via your website. If a user chooses to visit your website, you’ve just significantly decreased the gap from user to customer. Congrats!
Clearly you can see how this can benefit your business, right? Now let’s set up shoppable Instagram posts on your feed! Just follow the steps below to get started:
Prefer to watch the video version of this tutorial? Check out my YouTube video!
Things to know before getting started with Shoppable Instagram Feeds:
∙ You must be located in one of the following countries: United States, Canada, Brazil, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, or Australia
∙ You must have a Business Profile on Instagram
∙ You must have a Facebook Page
∙ Your Instagram app must be fully up to date
Step 1: Add a Shop to Your Facebook Page
Instagram requires users to have a Facebook ‘Shop’ before you can enable shoppable posts on your account. This is why you must have a Facebook Page to continue. If you don’t, start there. Once you have a page, follow the steps below to create a shop and fill it with the products you’d like to tag on Instagram:
1. Access your Facebook page and look on the left hand side to see if you have a ‘Shop’ tab. If you do, simply click it and move on to #5 below
2. If you don’t have a shop tab, select the ‘add a button’ button, underneath your cover photo
3. Choose the ‘shop now’ option, then click ‘next’
4. On the next page, choose ‘shop on your page’, then select ‘finish’
5. Navigate back to your Facebook Page. You should now see a ‘shop’ tab on the left sidebar. Click that tab and select ‘set up shop’, then follow the instructions.
6. Eventually you will see a page that asks if you would like your customers to check out on Facebook or to check out on your website. If you have an e-commerce store set up on your website, select that option. That means whenever someone finds a product via facebook or instagram, they’ll be directed to your website to pay. If you choose checkout on Facebook, they’ll pay through Facebook (this option may be limited to the USA at this time)
7. Follow the prompts until you see that your shop has been set up. From here you can manually add products, or if you already have a website with products, you can automatically migrate them to your Facebook shop. To do this, simply google “integrate [insert your e-commerce platform] with facebook shop” and you should easily find step-by-step tutorials to follow. (Here’s a tutorial for Shopify & Woocommerce.)
*Note: keep in mind that while you can add services to your Facebook shop, Instagram will only allow you to tag real, physical products in your posts.
Want in on the newest Instagram strategies no one is talking about?? This short, value-packed training is for you!
Your information is secure and never shared with 3rd parties.
Step 2: Connect your Facebook Shop to Your Instagram Account
Now that you have all your products listed in your Facebook shop, we need to connect your shop to your Instagram so you can tag products and streamline the buying process for your audience!
1. Navigate to your facebook page. Select ‘settings’ in the top right, then look for ‘Instagram’ on the left sidebar
2. Log in to your Instagram account
You can also do this from inside Instagram:
1. Go to your Instagram profile
2. Select the settings cog
3. Scroll down and select ‘linked accounts’
4. Select Facebook, then choose ‘share to’ and select the appropriate Facebook page (note the difference between Facebook profiles and pages)
Once you have linked your Facebook page to your Instagram account, your shoppable Instagram capabilities will automatically be pending. You must wait until your account is approved before you can use the product tagging features. Instagram states this should take no longer than a few days.
Step 3: Enable Your Shoppable Instagram Feed
Once your account has been approved, you’ll see the following notification at the top of your Instagram feed when you access the app:
Click the ‘get started’ link, then follow these instructions to finalize the connection between the products in your Facebook Shop to your Instagram account:
1. Select ‘products’
2. Select the Facebook shop we created in the previous steps
3. Tap ‘done’
Woo! You’ve just successfully linked your “product catalog” (aka, the products added to your Facebook shop) to your Instagram account! Now, we’re finally ready to make your Instagram shoppable!
*Note: if you don’t see the alert in the image above, navigate to your profile, select the settings cog and scroll down until you see ‘shopping’. If you don’t see that, your account has not been approved yet.
Step 4: Tag Products in Your Instagram Posts
Now that all of the functionality of a shoppable Instagram feed is set up, it’s time to finally tag your products in your posts! Here’s how:
1. Add a photo to Instagram as you normally would (select the + icon, choose your image, add filters, a caption, etc)
2. Select ‘Tag Products’
3. Tap the photo where you’d like a product tag to appear, then select the appropriate product from your catalog
4. Tap ‘done’ and review your post
5. Share your new, shoppable Instagram image!
*Note: when tagging products you cannot also tag profiles.
That’s it! You can now tag your products in every photo that you upload to Instagram! I love this feature and think that it will really help business owners increase sales. But keep in mind that uploading a photo and tagging your products doesn’t guarantee anything. You still want to post quality content, write engaging captions, use call to actions and provide your audience real value! These are the things that really help you make more sales!
What do you think of the shoppable Instagram feature? Will you be using it on your account?
Let me know in the comments below!
50 tools, templates and products that I personally use to run, scale and automate my online business