We’ve all seen it before.. That official blue check next to someone’s username on Instagram. How fancy! How exclusive! How the heck did they get it?!
This blue check signifies “verification” by Instagram and instantly gives your account authority. Anyone landing on your feed will know you’re accredited in some way which is amazing for business and effortlessly builds up your credibility.
Along with that comes all the questions..
How do you get verified on Instagram?
Until late 2018 there was no way to request Instagram verification. You simply had to hope your account would be chosen. These blue checks were almost exclusively saved for major celebrities and well-known brands like Kim Kardashian and Mercedes.
Now, however, you can actually request to be verified! But, keep in mind, not everyone that submits a verification request will be approved. Below I break down the step-by-step process of how to get verified on Instagram, including the exact criteria you need to meet for the best chance at approval!
Prefer to watch the video version of this tutorial? Check out my YouTube Video!
How to get verified on Instagram:
1. Navigate to your account settings by tapping the 3 line icon in the top right of your profile and hitting ‘settings’ at the bottom.
2. Scroll down and select ‘request verification’.
3. From there, you will be asked to submit the following:
- Instagram Username (this will be the account you’re currently logged into and want to have verified)
- Your Full Name (insert your full name as seen on your legal identification. If this is for a business you want to enter the name of the primary shareholder)
- Known As (for me this was simply Alex Tooby, however if this is for a company you’ll want to enter the company name)
- Account Category (select the closest match)
- A picture of valid photo identification (this can be a passport, driver’s license, or national identification card. Alternatively, you can provide official business documents such as tax papers, recent utility bills, etc.)
4. Then you simply have to press ‘send’, and wait.. The time you’ll have to wait is not clearly noted by Instagram so it could be a few hours, days, or weeks. Try your best to be patient!
8 Ways to Increase Your Instagram Following
Additional Criteria Considered for Instagram Verification
Instagram does publicly state a number of qualifications each account must meet if it wants to be verified on Instagram. So, for the highest chance of being approved, make sure your account complies with the following:
1. Authentic. Your account must be a real person, business, or entity. “Fan” accounts (like those created for celebrities) are excluded from this category.
2. Unique. Instagram typically doesn’t verify general interest or repost accounts. The content being created and posted must be your own. (@menandcoffee seems to have by-passed this rule but I believe that’s because my account passed all the other qualifications.)
3. Public & Complete. Instagram requires every verified account to be public and have a completely filled out bio. This includes having a profile picture and posts uploaded to your account. I always tell my students having a complete, optimized and effective bio is essential for Instagram and this just makes that even more true! Want to watch a lesson on optimizing your bio? Sign up for my FREE Instagram Training!
4. No Cross-Promotion. Your account cannot have “add me” links that tell users to follow you on other social platforms. Your link should only be used to direct traffic to your website, store, landing page, etc.
5. Notable. While verification was typically reserved for celebrities before, Instagram is now considering accounts that have been featured in multiple well-known news sources. This is where I think most people end up being denied for verification. Having a popular brand is not enough if you have no press outside of your own website. Instagram wants to know that you’re globally notable and recognizable! (Paid or promotional content is deemed invalid)
A few things to note after submitting your Instagram verification request
1. There’s no minimum follower requirement to be verified on Instagram. Instagram doesn’t require you to have a certain amount of followers to apply for verification (unlike some of their other features!) On the flip side of that, having millions of followers doesn’t guarantee verification, either! It’s all about those qualifications listed above so make sure you meet them!
2. Instagram does not give specific reasons for denying verification requests. Users will receive a notification that says your account hasn’t met the criteria and that’s it. Kinda annoying, right?! You are, however, able to submit a request every 30 days, so keep trying!
3. There is no way to manually submit news articles you’ve been featured in – Instagram does their own research on press and appearances. If the articles you’ve been featured in can be found on Google, they will find them! If you’ve been featured in publications make sure your / your business name is listed in the title, or the excerpt that displays on google. If your name is mentioned in passing it may not hold as much weight.
4. There’s no telling when Instagram will approve or deny your request. In typical Instagram fashion, it can take days or weeks. Just keep an eye on your notifications (which is how they told me I was verified!) for your approval or denial message.
5. You will NOT receive an email from Instagram asking you to apply for verification, nor can a third party get you verified for a fee! There are plenty of scams related to Instagram verification so make sure you don’t fall for any. If you receive an email from Instagram suggesting you can get verified by clicking a link, DON’T DO IT! This is how you get your account hacked! I received one of these emails and when I checked who the sender was, it was [email protected]! That’s definitely not Instagram! Also, do not pay anyone to get you verified, whether they claim to “know someone at Instagram” or not. It’s not possible. The only way to be verified on Instagram is through the official application process noted above.
That is how to get verified on Instagram! As you can see, while there is the option for everyone to request Instagram verification, there unfortunately is no guarantee that you’ll be approved. However, if you follow the steps above and make sure your account meets all of the criteria listed, you WILL have the best chance! If you are denied, remember you can resubmit your application every 30 days. Good luck!
HOW TO MAKE CONSISTENT SALES FROM INSTAGRAM™
(without thousands of followers!)
This free training will uncover why you're struggling to make sales and how to change that in 4 easy steps.