1

TURN YOUR PASSION
INTO PROFIT
WITH INSTAGRAM

Learn how to effortlessly attract followers, increase your engagement and make more sales with my
FREE seven day Instagram e-course:

Everything You Need to Know About Instagram Business Profiles Before Making The Switch!

Have you been considering switching to an Instagram Business Profile? Or maybe you already did but aren't quite sure if it was the right decision? Read this blog post by Instagram Expert, Alex Tooby and find out exactly what she thinks!i

Have you switched to an Instagram business profile yet? There is a lot of talk about this feature. Some people switched the second Instagram asked them to, and others aren’t quite so sure. Let’s break down everything you need to know, plus what I personally think of the feature:

If you’re not familiar with the new business profiles, basically IG is allowing you to have a slightly different profile that includes:

> A contact button in your bio that allows people to directly email you, call you, or get directions to your business
> An industry “tag” that tells people what niche you’re in
> A clickable business address
> In-app analytics that tell you details about your audience like their demographics, the time they are active on the app, and the individual impressions/reach of each of your posts
> The opportunity to “boost” your posts and show it to people outside of your audience for a fee ($$$)

Instagram Business Profiles by Alex Tooby

*If you want to switch to a business profile right away, scroll down to the bottom of this post for a quick tutorial. If you’re interested in hearing more about my opinion and the potential pros and cons of a business profile, keep reading!

Fun fact about me: I am a littttttle skeptical about new things.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE trying new things like foods and adventures, but when it comes to new “versions” of things (like the latest iphone update) I usually shy away for a while. I like to let others be the guinea pig while I sit back and observe..

Instagram Business Profiles by Alex Tooby

..and that’s exactly what I did when Instagram started releasing their business profiles.

But the business profile features sound pretty good, right?

In theory, yes. I think that if you’re a small business such as a retailer with a physical location switching to a business profile might be a great idea for you! The contact button is particularly appealing as it allows your customers to contact you at a click of a button without having to navigate to your website and through multiple pages before finding your contact info.

Here’s my skepticism though: remember Facebook Pages? They used to be an amazing way to connect with your current and potential customers, then Facebook drastically decreased the amount of people your posts would reach. In fact it’s be documented that most Facebook pages only receive 2% organic reach now. Yikes!

Instagram business profiles by alex tooby

They then implemented a “boost” feature and started encouraging people to pay in order to get their content in front of more people. This is often referred to as “pay to play” and is one of the few ways people can successfully get their posts in front of their audience on Facebook. Kinda sad hey?

Now I’m not trying to be overly dramatic or start spreading rumors, but I’m not the only one who thinks that Instagram may begin to treat business profiles just like Facebook Pages. (Instagram is owned by Facebook you know!)

So, let me get to the point:

I personally am NOT switching to a business profile at this time for the following reasons:

1. A contact button is great but it doesn’t provide a ton of value for every business. I get a lot of emails every day so I generally try to funnel any enquiries towards the FAQ page on my website instead of having them email me directly. I do however think this feature is great for people who have an actual office or retail store with a customer service rep ready to take the calls. 

2. Sharing your address is not a necessity for most online business. Do you sell your product from your website or an etsy store? Listing your personal address would be like inviting strangers over to your house. No thanks!

3. You can get Instagram analytics from third party websites & this feature will eventually be offered to everyone, even without a business profile. My @menandcoffee account was recently given access to the same analytics business profiles get, without having to switch. This likely means we will all get access at some point, regardless of if you’re set as a personal or business profile. In the mean time, third party apps like Iconosquare or Squarelovin provide pretty great analytics. While they are not identical to what you get with a business profile, you can make up for it by using Google Analytics. Any traffic that comes from Instagram to your website is trackable and you can see exactly what their gender, age, location, etc is.

Have you been considering switching to an Instagram Business Profile? Or maybe you already did but aren't quite sure if it was the right decision? Read this blog post by Instagram Expert, Alex Tooby and find out exactly what she thinks!

4. You can still create Instagram Ads from within Facebook. The ability to get your posts in front of a wider range of people still exists without having to make the business profile switch. Never set up an ad from inside Facebook? Here’s how.

5. Switching to a business profile is not going to immediately increase your sales. While the contact feature will allow your potential clients to reach you more easily, that doesn’t mean you’re automatically going to start selling more. To make money from your Instagram efforts you need to be attracting a targeted audience and providing them with highly quality content that converts. Want to learn how to do that on a daily basis? Check out my course Infamous to Influential!

Want to build an Targeted, Engaged &
Profitable Following on Instagram?

Guess what? You can! It just takes 6 simple steps:

Ok, so having said all that, let me be clear: this is my personal opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt.

If you already have a business profile, that’s awesome! Do not feel like you’ve made a bad decision or that your business is now doomed. It definitely isn’t, and even if it was, I got ‘chu 😉

Still want to switch to a business profile? Here’s how:

All you have to do is make sure your phone and your Instagram app are updated to the latest versions. Then, navigate to your account (the man icon in the bottom right) and click on the cog in the top right. From there, scroll down until you see “Switch to Business Profile”

Have you been considering switching to an Instagram Business Profile? Or maybe you already did but aren't quite sure if it was the right decision? Read this blog post by Instagram Expert, Alex Tooby and find out exactly what she thinks!

You’ll then be prompted to connect your Facebook Page and all of your additional contact info. (You must have a Facebook page to use an Instagram Business Profile) 

That’s it!

Please note that this was not written to be cynical, but instead to inform you, as your Instagram Mentor, the possibilities that are connected to making these business related switches 👌🏻

PS. If you feel the need to switch to an Instagram business profile solely because you’re hoping to see an increase in actual engagement or sales, a business profile is not necessarily your answer. Learn exactly how to reach your target market and convert them into paying customers with my course, Infamous to Influential.


What do you think? Have you switched yet? What’s been your experience so far?

Let me know in the comments!


> Keep on reading..

Leave a Reply

68 Comments on "Instagram Business Profiles 101 – Should You Make The Switch?"

avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Heather Barber
Guest

In fact in the UK, you do have to declare your trading address even if you are only selling online

Lucy
Guest

I love the contact button and was waiting for months for a business account (I didn’t have the option before) Now let’s see what happens but I am not afraid

Lena
Guest

I switched a couple of months ago and so far I have been liking it, the analytics are right there and so easy to use. I suppose I could use third party services but it just seems like an extra level of effort.

Danielle @ Medium&Message
Guest

Some really good points here. I won’t do it because I don’t want to be required to setup and use a different platform (Facebook) just to be able to have a contact button on my Instagram profile. Like you’ve pointed out, Facebook Pages reach fewer and fewer people these days – and while many people swear by Facebook for business there are those of us that do just fine without it and focus on other platforms. And I’ll get my IG analytics elsewhere.

Jessica Nichols
Guest

I have been clicking “Later” for months also! So glad I’m not alone, it drives me batty how aggressive they are about it! Thanks for the post, I’ve been wondering if I should switch and I’m going to hold off till “later.” HA!

Angela J. Ford
Guest

I love this post Alex! I’m sure people have been hoping on the bandwagon because it’s a “business” account. It took me a while but I finally made the switch over. So far, I haven’t noticed anything different, but the best part is I can always switch back.

Brittany Berger
Guest

The reach/pay to play issue is a non-issue to me. Our posts are only going to have like a 2% reach no matter what platform you’re on and whether or not it uses an algorithm or has advertising. Facebook’s sponsored posts didn’t create the low reach problem on Facebook, too much content did. The boosts are a solution, which is nice to have.

Leanne
Guest

Exactly Brittany

Ane
Guest

My facebook page averaged about 17% reach in the last month, and my Instagram posts get about 42.55% reach…they’re both business accounts, I think it all depends on your strategy and if you’re targeting people correctly, have appealing images, etc.

Leanne
Guest
I swapped over about 2 months ago. My insta account has continued to grow at an exponential rate. I think understanding your target customer, knowing the right hashtags and having the right targeting strategy – like you teach Alex is the way to go. I actually don’t think that you will be punished because you are a business at all. Facebook reach reduced – because really – how can Facebook feed up every single page and person that we actually have liked or have a connection with. it is just not possible. I agree for a bricks and mortar business… Read more »
Humberto Pelaez
Guest
Let´s see Alex. I agree with you in almost everything you said here. Thing is, for example, if you have a digital agency and for whatever reason a customer or a prospect gets the info about the ¨now famous IG business profiles¨, and they get into yours and they see you don’t have it, that means ¨I know more than this guys, they can´t manage my digital Business¨ hahahaha I don want to sound paranoid but it´s all about perception. But seriously, I thing we need to let the idea breath and lets see how it goes. Your point of… Read more »
Ashley Faulkes
Guest

Totally agree with being dubious Alex. I am in a few Insta groups and “dubiousness” abounds in those too. Of course, like you I am not really doing local biz, so have been getting my stats through other tools. But I fear Insta is headed towards a Facebook-like death.

Ludmila
Guest

Oh no! Now I DO feel really bad about having switched to the business profile. What a pity that I haven’t read your post earlier
Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Emma T
Guest

I’m waiting too. I’ve heard some people have had their engagement go down since switching, and others go up. But linking anything that’s doing well to my terrible FB page (where reach is now shocking) isn’t something I’d want to be encouraging

Deanna
Guest

You’ve got me thinking now. That’s a valid point about them potentially decreasing organic reach. I’m going to hold off as well.

Sabrina
Guest

Thanks for the tips, think I will stick to a regular Instagram account!

Gloria Pearson
Guest

I haven’t switched over either.
I have a “business” account on Facebook and wish I’d created a separate personal account for my business because there are so many drawbacks. Many of the handmade businesses on Facebook use a personal account and it’s so much easier to manage and get visibility. Now that Facebook owns Instagram I see only more of the same difficulties with an Instagram business page.
There are going to have to be some significant reasons to make the switch. I’m using the metrics from squarelovin.com are they’re working for me now.

Nelo
Guest

Nice update, If I ran a small business I would def give it a trial and see how it goes.

Lindsay
Guest

Great food for thought! I switched and haven’t noticed a substantial difference one way or another, but I have noticed more companies using the contact button to email me for collabs instead of DM.

Erin
Guest

Fantastic insight. Count me in the skeptics list, too! Since FB took over Insta, I would guess they’re looking for additional ways to monetize the platform (can’t blame them for that — they ARE a business, after all!). I run multiple social media account (for brick & mortar businesses) for my day job, so I switched to business accounts on those to test them out. I do like the analytics!
xoxo, erin | sandsunandmessybuns.com

Agnes
Guest

Love the idea of a contact button, haven’t tried the business account yet.

SaarBlogs
Guest

How did I not even know Instagram Business was a thing? Thanks for this post, useful information!

Felicia
Guest

Love this post! It was super informative. I have the exact same hesitation to switch for my blog. My Facebook page for my blog doesn’t get any traffic and I don’t focus on using it for that reason.

Felicia | http://www.prettychicpink.com

Crystal
Guest

Thanks for the info. I don’t think I will switch with my blog account but this may be the way to go when I start posting for Real Estate.

Savannah
Guest

Hey Alex,
This really is a great post. I’ve also been sitting back and watching as others switched over. For the most part, everyone seems generally happy with the switch, and I believe you’re able to switch back if you’d like. I, too, tend to be the time of person who shies away from change. I enjoy my Instagram account the way that it is, and have seen no reason for change right now. “If it ain’t broke, why fix it?” Ha

Jenny
Guest

I’ve switched and haven’t noticed any negative impact yet but I am being cautious too haha

Meghan
Guest

I don’t think I will be making the switch. While I am interested in the analytics portion, I’m just not too excited about how it ties in with my Facebook page. I also would prefer not to leave an address. I am just a blogger after all!

Meghan | BeyondBasicBlog.com

Ronetta
Guest

Great article Alex! I warned my followers about it also as I noted a
Drastic drop in my engagement along with their new algorithm. The problem is after I switched back to personal, it was already too late :/

Victoria @DazzleWhileFrazzled
Guest

Thanks for the overview. IG is still something I’m trying to learn and post to regularly!

mummy jojo
Guest

Thanks for the tips, mmmm thought provoking. Still trying to get my head around instgram and as for the follow 4 follow thing, what are your thoughts on that?

Carrielle
Guest

It’s also great that Instagram allows you to switch back to a personal account if you choose. Glad you mentioned how Instagram might turn into a Facebook pages situation.

Jennifer Quisenberry
Guest

I’ve been kind of waiting on switching too. I’m usually an early adopter, but I’ve been dragging my feet on this one for similar reasons you stated above.

Leah | A Relaxed Gal
Guest

I switched to a business account a few weeks after they were made available. I was skeptical at first (I’m also one of those who holds off for months on updating my operating system), but haven’t noticed any negative impact since I switched over. I’ve liked the analytics particularly the info about when my followers engage the most. It will be interesting to see if Instagram starts treating businesses like they do on Facebook.

Rhonda Swan
Guest

Great insights, Alex! Keep up the great work here and live unstoppable!

Lynn
Guest

I haven’t switched to the business profile yet. Still in dilemma in this option. I’ll wait for another week i think. Hehehe thanks for sharing your ideas about it. I appreciate it a lot!

Kari
Guest

Interesting. I’m not that big into Instagram because for a while they didn’t have a great option for Windows Phone Users. Now we have an app but it crashes periodically and I’m not a big fan of doing blogging activities with my phone.

Dr. Daisy
Guest

Thanks for sharing this info. I’m one that waits as well…I don’t like the Facebook option and fear that they will begin to implement the boost feature on Instagram as well. For now, I will wait…:)

Corde the Writer
Guest

I haven’t switched either because I’ve yet to see the value in doing do. The feedback from it has been neutral.

NYG@NaughtyYogaGirl.com
Guest

Ahhh. I’ve been wondering what the difference was and why some people had a “conctact me” button on their profiles! 🙂 Thanks for clearing it up! I think I’m with you … I’m good where I’m at.

Punit Mahajan
Guest

Hey Tooby,
I strongly disagree with you on this topic.
That’s because, having a business profile for LOCAL clients or Shops is a must.

Also, contact makes it easy for customers to place an order or enquire more about your business.

Waiting for your view on this. ☺

Megan
Guest

Really helpful article – I think I might switch back from a business account!

Kylie Johnson
Guest

Thank you for the helpful article. These were really great insights to consider.

Anne @onedeterminedlife
Guest

I still have a personal Instagram account, so knowing the benefits and drawback to a business account is great.

Foirell
Guest

This was a really great guide and very helpful seeing as I recently changed my IG to a business profile! Thanks

Foirell

Katie - Mommy Scene
Guest

Thanks for the tips! I’ve heard business accounts might lose some of their organic engagement, since eventually Instagram will prioritize monetization. Who knows though. I’m happy with my personal profile if that means more followers see my pics.

Taylor Mobley
Guest

I personally really like my business profile!!!

Ashvin Nankoo
Guest

This is a great post! I have the business account. It does not do much. It provides insights and analytics and the contact button is just there really!

Tracy
Guest

Great post. I was thinking about this and you helped me decide. Thanks!

trackback

[…] Okay so this isn’t the newest feature but still worthy of talking about. Instagram has introduced the ability to add a contact button to your feed, a clickable address link, in-app analytics and much more.. (To learn about all the features, check out this post: Instagram Business Profiles 101) […]

Katie Lamb
Guest

i’m not switching. i have a Facebook page and i know how rubbish it is unless you pay to boost posts so no thank you

Sarah
Guest

This post has come at just the right time. I have a client that wants me to start handling their Instagram and I’m a newbie at it! I’ll be taking your course too. 🙂

trackback

[…] Account to a Personal Account. Alright, this one is a bit of a shot in the dark, but realistically, I’ve been saying this since the feature first came out.. Instagram is owned by Facebook and Facebook is known for limiting reach and engagement in order […]

wpDiscuz